|Photographs and history of the
during the reign of Queen Victoria.
Among the "guards and garrisons" allowed to Charles II in 1661 was a company of Infantry, stationed at Plymouth, and commanded by the Earl of Bath. In 1685 this was expanded into a regiment of twelve companies, enlisted in Derbyshire and Nottingham, and named the "10th Foot". Embarking for Flanders in 1690, it did good service at Steenkirk, Furnes, Dixmude, D'Olignies, Landen, Fort Kenoque, and Namur; as it did in the war with France, at Venloo, Ruremonde, Stevenswart, Liege, Huy, Limburg, Schellenberg, Blenheim, Helixem, Neer-Winden, Neer-Hespen, Ramilies, Namur, Dendermond, Ath, Oudenarde, Lisle, Ghent, Tournay, Malplaquet, Mons, Pont-a-Vendin, Douay, Bethune, Aire, St Venant, Arleux, and Bouchain. In 1767 it sailed for New Orleans, and took part in the American War from 1775 till 1778, being present at Concord, Lexington, Bunker's Hill, Long Island, New York, White Plains, Forts Lee and Washington, Rhode Island, Brandywine, Germanstown, Philadelphia, Billing's Point, White Marsh, and Freehold.
When the Egyptian campaign of 1801 opened, the regiment was in India, but embarked at the end of the year, and landed at Kosseir. Thence it made a bold march to Kennah, on the Nile, a distance of 120 miles, during which the troops suffered severely from thirst; being afterwards transferred thence to Rosetta. For its services in this campaign it bears the Sphinx with "Egypt" on the colours, and gold medals were presented to the officers by the Sultan.
After sharing in the operations following the occupation of Sicily, such as the battle of Castalla, siege of Tarragona, blockade of Barcelona, etc., the 10th returned home, and bears "Peninsula" on its colours in remembrance of these services. In 1846 it joined the Army of the Sutlej, and shared in the glory of Sobraon, where, with the 7th Brigade, and formed in line, it stormed the Sikh works, and "never fired a shot until within the works of the enemy". It also shared in the second Sikh War, and bears on its list of honours "Punjaub", "Mooltan", and "Goojerat".
During the Mutiny it was at Dinapore, with the Jounpore Field Force, at Lucknow (which it bears on its colours), Azimghur, and in the operations in Oude. During this campaign Lieutenant H. M. Havelock Allen gained the Victoria Cross for distinguished bravery at Cawnpore, and Privates Kirk and Dempsey at Benares and Lucknow. Finally it served in the Malay Peninsula from 1874 to 1876, taking part in the Perak Expedition.
The earliest 2nd battalion, raised in Essexs, first appears in 1804. It served at Waalcheren, captured the Island of Ponzo in 1813 without the loss of a man, and was incorporated with the 1st battalion in 1816. The existing 2nd battalion was formed about 1858, and served with the Burmah expeditionary force in 1878.
The regiment when formed was the only one with blue uniform, and the facings were at first red; this was altered to red coats and red "livery" later on, and by 1751 the facings had been changed to yellow; they are at present white.
The regimental badge - the Sphinx with "Egypt" - appears (laurelled and crowned) on the button, on the collar, over an eight-pointed star (derived apparently from the Militia) on the helmet plate, waist belt, and forage cap.
The 3rd and 4th battalions are formed from the Royal North and South Lincoln Militia, raised in 1759. The volunteer battalions are the 1st and 2nd Lincoln (with scarlet and white and scarlet and blue tunics), having headquarters at Lincoln and Grantham respectively.
The "pet" names have been "the Springers", after the American War, and "the Poachers", probably from the regimental march. The depot is at Lincoln.
Extract from "The British Army and Auxiliary Forces" Colonel C. Cooper King, R.M.A. , 1894
JOHN KIRK (Private) 10th of Foot, (The Lincolnshire Regiment) On June 4th 1857, this soldier was associated with Sergeant-Major Rosamond (V.C.) and Gill (V.C.). When, on the outbreak at Benares the mutineers fired the bungalow and massacred so many Europeans, he and his comrades were able to rescue Captain Brown and his family, bringing them into the lines in safety. His Victoria Cross is in the United Service Institute, London.
DENIS DEMPSEY (Private) 10th of Foot, The Lincolnshire Regiment During the disastrous retreat from Arrah in July 1857, when Mr.Mangles and Mr. McDonell both won the Victoria Cross by acts of heroic devotion, Dempsey was one of the retreating party, and helped to carry Ensign Erskine of his regiment from the pursuing Sepoys. On August 12th 1857, he was the first man to enter the village of Jugdispore under a terrific fire, and further, on March 14th 1858, he carried a bag of powder through fire, and further on March 14th 1858, he carried a bag of powder through a burning village in order to mine a passage in rear of the enemy?s position. As the sparks from the burning houses were falling in showers around him, and the path he took was open and exposed to a terrific fire from the enemy, who were behind loop holed walls, his brave act appears all the finer. Dempsey died in Canada January 10th 1886.
The Officers of the Lincolnshire Regiment (1896)
Our photograph shows the officers of the two battalions of the Lincolshire Regiment, the old 10th Foot, taken at Malta in 1895 on boar the hired transport "Jumna". The two battalions met at Malta, the 1st Battalion being at the time in the garrison there, while the 2nd Battalion was on board ship on its way from Singapore home to England. The occasion is, in its way, of particular interest, for in these days, when it is a rule of the Service for the battalions of regiments to be always stationed apart, one battalion at home and the other abroad, such an event as the meeting of the entire regiment can but rarely occur. Our photograph is therefore the record of a historic incident.
Non-Commissioned Officer of the Lincolnshire Regiment (1896)
Here we see a group of the Non-Commissioned Officers of the Lincolnshire Regiment - the Sergeants, a grade, at which as a corporate body, has been termed the "backbone of the Army". The group was taken quite recently at Malta, where the 1st Battalion is quartered. The opportunity was taken advantage of for displaying the cups and trophies won by or presented to the 1st Lincolnshire, which, with other valued possessions, are kept with the officers' mess plate as regimental property.
The 1st Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment on Parade at the Main Guard, Malta. (1896)
The Lincolnshire Regiment, of which the 1st Battalion is here shown on parade on Palace Square, Malta, in front of the Guard Room at one of the monthly parades for "trooping the colour", usual at Malta, is one of the oldest regiments in the Queen's Army. It was first embodied as an organized military force in 1685, and has seen much war service : in its earlier days in the battles of William the Third in Flanders, and with Marlborough at Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet; and later, in the Egyptian Campaign of 1801, throughout the Peninsular War, at Sobraon and Goojerat, and in the Indian Mutiny. Lieut.-Colonel Thomas Edward Verner commands the 1st Battalion, and Lieut.-Colonel Henry Robert Roberts the 2nd. the Colonel of the Regiment is Lieut.-General Sir J. R. Glyn, K.C.B. The uniform of the Lincolnshire Regiment is scarlet, with white facings. Above the entrance to the Main Guard, as shown in our illustration, is a Latin inscription to the effect that "The Love of the Maltese and the Voice of Europe confirm these Islands to Great and Invincible Britain, A.D. 1814."
|Page 1 of 0||Page 1 .. Next|
|Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS! |
Many of our offers end in 14 hours, 55 minutes!
|Page 1 of 0||Page 1 .. Next|
Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts. Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE
Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269. Fax:
(+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email: