Naval V.C.'s

Home ] Up ]

Army Navy Airforce .co .uk Home Page
Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
Product Search         

WILLIAM PEEL  (Captain, Afterwards K.C.B.)  Royal Navy            Captain Peel was awarded the Victoria Cross for three specific acts of bravery.  On October 18th 1854, at the greatest possible risk, he picked up a live shell (the fuse of which was still burning) from several powder cases outside the Magazine, and threw it over the parapet.  The shell burst as it left his hands, but his brave and prompt action saved the Magazine and the lives of all near him.  At Inkerman, at the Sandbag Battery, the Grenadiers were hard pressed while defending the Colours.  This officer was conspicuous for his assistance on this occasion, and specially noticed by H.R.H. the Duke of Cambridge, the Lieut. -General commanding the Division.  At the Redan, on June 18th 1855, he volunteered for the ladder party, carrying the first one himself, till he was struck down.  He took part in the relief of Lucknow in November 1857, and at the siege and capture in March 1858, dying of smallpox at Cawnpore, on his way to Calcutta on April 27th 1858.  Third son of the Right Hon. Sir Robert Peel Bart, the distinguished Statesman, Sir William was born on November 2nd 1824, and passed away as above stated in his thirty third year.

WILLIAM NATHAN WRIGHTE HEWETT (Lieutenant, afterwards Vice-Admiral, K.C.B., K.C.S.I.) Naval Brigade Knight of The Legion of Honour            At the great sortie from Sebastopol, on October 26th 1854, Lieutenant William Hewett was in charge of a battery.  The Russians were swarming towards his post when the word was passed-by whom it was never ascertained-?Spike the guns and retire.?  Hewett replied that ?such an order did not come from Captain Lushington, and he would not do it till it did.?  He then pulled down the parapet and assisted by a few soldier, swung the gun round towards the advancing thousands, into which he poured so steady a fire that the advance was checked, and the battery saved.  For his pluck at Inkerman on November 5th, he was specially ?named? in despatches. Sir William Hewett died at Portsmouth on May 13th 1888, aged 54. Son of William Hewett Esq, he was born at Brighton in 1834.  Entered the Royal navy at the age of thirteen; became Captain in 1862; Rear Admiral 1878.  Served in China in Burmah; also in Ashantee, including the capture of Coomassie; Egypt, 1882; and the Eastern Soudan 1884. 

EDWARD ST. JOHN DANIEL  (Midshipman)  Royal Navy            Recommended by Sir Stephan Lushington for conspicuous bravery on November 5th 1854, when a call for volunteers was made to bring up powder from a wagon which had been left in a most exposed position owing to the horses being all killed.  Captain Peel (V.C.), who was in command of the battery at the time, specially reported the bravery of this young naval officer.  He also accompanied Captain Pel as A.D.C. at the battle of Inkerman, and, at the attack on the Redan on June 18th 1855, when his officer was wounded, displayed the greatest devotion to him, placing a tourniquet on his arm under a terrific fire. Daniel left the Navy in 1861, and his Bronze Cross found its way into the United Service Institute, Whitehall, where it now remains. 

JAMES H. GORMAN  (Seaman)  Royal Navy            Sir S. Lushington, in a letter of June 7th 1856, mentions Gorman, Reeves and Scholefield, three seamen, for their bravery on November 5th 1854.  At the battle of Inkerman the Right Lancaster Battery was attacked, and these men were survivors of five who mounted a banquette and, making use of the rifles of disabled soldiers, loaded for them by their friends below, kept up a sharp fire under a hail of lead from the Russians. Gorman died on December 27th 1889.

THOMAS REEVES  (Seaman)  Royal Navy             Associated on November 5th 1854. At Inkerman in a heroic act described in the record of Gorman. 

MARK SCHOLEFIELD  (Seaman)  Royal Navy            At the battle of Inkerman, November 5th 1854, Scholefield was associated with Gorman (V.C.) and Reeves (V.C.) in a heroic act described in the record of Gorman.

JOHN SULLIVAN  (Boatswain?s Mate)  Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour 

CECIL WILLIAM BUCKLEY  (Lieutenant, afterwards Captain) Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour            On May 29th 1855, while serving as junior Lieutenant of the Miranda, Captain Buckley, accompanied by Lieutenant Burgoyne and Gunner John Robarts, landed and set fire to immense quantities of stores belonging to the Russians at Genitchi, in the Sea of Azoff.  Captain Lysons, in his despatch, remarked that these stores were in a particularly favourable position for supplying the Russian Army, and that their destruction was of the utmost importance.  This act was carried out in the presence of a very large force of the enemy and at imminent risk. On June 3rd, following, Captain Buckley, this time in company with Henry Cooper (V.C.), boatswain, performed a similar act of bravery at Taganrog, the dangers of this second desperate undertaking being equally as great as the first. His name appears first in the Gazette as being awarded the Victoria Cross, although Mr. Lucas performed the earliest act for which the decoration has been gained.  The institution of the Victoria Cross was made retrospective to the commencement of the Crimean War. Captain Buckley died at Funchal, Madeira, on December 7th 1872.

HUGH TALBOT BURGOYNE  (Lieutenant, afterwards Captain)  Royal Navy Captain Burgoyne, fifteen years afterwards, when in command of H.M.S. Captain, went down with that vessel off Cape Finisterre during the night of September 6th 1870.  Of the officers and crew, 490 men, only eighteen were saved.  The names of the men drowned are to be found recorded on a brass tablet in St. Pal?s Cathedral. 

JOHN ROBARTS  (Chief Gunner) Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour Mr Robarts died October 17th 1888. 

HENRY COOPER  (Boatswain) Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour            Henry Cooper accompanied his commander, Lieutenant Buckley, R.N., in his gallant and desperate exploit at Taganrog, on the night of June 3rd 1855, when he landed in the face of a great force of Russians and fired the stores. Cooper survived his chief by twenty-one years, having died at Tor Point, Devon, on July 15th 1893.

HENRY CURTIS  (Boatswain?s Mate)  Royal Navy            The act of bravery and of humanity, which gained for this ?blue-jacket?, the Victoria Cross, on June 18th 1855, is given in the Record of Admiral Henry Raby V.C.  On that day, with J. Taylor, V.C. he assisted in rescuing a young soldier of the 57th in front of the Redan.  The three sallied out of the shelter of the trench and brought in the wounded man, who had been shot through both legs.The distance they had to travel forward and back were about a hundred yards each way.  Curtis died at Buckland, Portsmouth on November 23rd 1896.

HENRY JAMES RABY  (Commander, Now Rear-Admiral, C.B.)  Royal Navy            The Victoria Cross was deservedly awarded to this distinguished officer for his humane and brave conduct on June 18th 1855, after the attack on the Redan.  A young soldier if the 57th Regiment was lying shot through the legs and exposed to the fire of the Russian batteries.  On being informed of this, Commander Raby crossed over the open ground, about one hundred yards, and under a terrific fire carried the wounded man to shelter.  They had the assistance of Lieutenant Edward Hughes D?Aeth, of H.M.S. Sidon, but this officer never reaped the reward he undoubtedly merited, as he died of cholera on August 7th following, Taylor, although awarded the V.C., never lived to wear it, for the reason stated in the record under his name, and Curtis died in 1896, so Commander Raby is the only living representative of the heroic act described. Rear-Admiral Raby, son of Mr Arthur Turnour Raby, of Llanelly, Carmarthen, was born September 26th 1827.  After being educated at Sherborne School, he entered the Navy in 1842 as 1st Class Volunteer H.M.S. Monarch.  Served for eleven months with the Naval Brigade in the Crimea, being promoted Commander for his services.  In command H.M.S. Medusa and Alecto, West coast of Africa and during the attack and destruction of Porto Novo; promoted to Captain for meritorious services in those parts, where he was engaged in combating the slave trade, in the suppression of which his name has been prominently associated.  Served in command of H.M.S. Adventure in China 1868-71, retiring 1877, since when he was devoted his time to charitable objects connected with the men of that branch of the Service of which he has been so distinguished a member.

JOHN TAYLOR  (Captain of the Forecastle)  Royal Navy            On June 18th 1855 after the great attack on the Redan, a young soldier of the 57th regiment had been shot through the legs and was lying in a terribly exposed position calling out for help.  On their attention being called to the danger he was in, Commander Raby (V.C.), John Taylor, and Henry Curtis (V.C.) climbed over the breastwork of the advanced sap, crossed the one hundred yards of open ground, under terrific fire, and brought him into shelter.  Taylor was justly awarded the Victoria Cross, but he never lived to wear the well-earned decoration, for he died on February 24th 1857, the very day on which his name appeared in the Gazette.

JOSEPPH TREWAVAS  (Seaman) Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour            On July 3rd 1855, in the straits of Genitchi, the shore being completely lined with the enemy?s troops and the adjacent houses filled with riflemen, Seaman Trewavas (one of the crew of H.M.S. Beagle) went forward under a heavy fire from only eighty yards distance and with great heroism cut the hawsers of the floating bridge.  He was hit in the body at the moment of success, but the desired effect was accomplished and a means of conveying stores to the enemy completely destroyed.  Lieut. Hewett, then only twenty-one (afterwards Admiral, V.C.), had given orders that the pontoon must be destroyed at all costs.  The first attempt was at night, but was unsuccessful.  On the return of the party to the ship, Hewett swore it should be done, if not by night, then by day.  Under cover of a little paddle steamer with one gun, Trewavas started again n a four-oared boat.  The ?paddle steamer? fired one round and then the gun collapsed, remaining useless for the rest of the time.  Rowing up to the ?Pontoonm,? Trewavas leapt on to it and the hawswer, the Russians then realising what the little party of British sailors were doing, upon which they opened a terrific fire on them.  ?By coolness and pulling for dear life,? says Mr. Trewavas, ?and by the Russians shocking aim we got back to the ship, the boat completely riddled up to the thwarts in water.?  Born December 14th 1835, Joseph Trewavas joined the Navy, H.M.S. Agamemnon, in 1853.  Was at the bombardment of Sebastopol, October 17th 1854, landing on the 23rd with the Naval Brigade.  Took part from 1855, in all operations in the Sea of Azoff and was paid off May 22nd 1857.  Has been awarded the medal for conspicuous gallantry.  Was decorated with French Legion of Honour after Crimean War.  Has now for many years followed the calling of a fisherman at Penzance, and at present, in spite of the wounds received from the Russians, is hale and hearty, but advance in years prevents him going to sea as often as before.

GEORGE INGOUEVILLE  (Captain of the Mast)  Royal Navy            On July 13th 1855, the boats of H.M.S. Arrogant were engaged with the enemy?s gunboats and batteries off Viborg when the second cutter, being disabled by the blowing up of her magazine, commenced to drift under a battery.  Despite a wound in the arm, and the terrific fire the boat was under, Ingoueville, without waiting for orders, leapt overboard, caught the cutter?s painter, and saved her.  He died on January 13th 1869.

JOHN SHEPPARD  (Boatswain)  Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour            On July 15th 1855, while serving as Boatswain on the St. Jean d? Acre, Mr Sheppard went in a punt with an exploding apparatus into the harbour of Sebastopol in order to try and blow up a Russian line-of-battle ship.  This service, described by Lord Lyons as ?a bold one and gallantly executed,? was twice attempted.  On the first occasion he contrived to slip past the Russian steamboats at the entrance to Careening Bay, but was prevented from going further by a long string of boats, which were carrying troops from the south to the north side of Sebastopol. The second attempt was made on the following day, from the side of Careening Bay, occupied by the French. He died on December 17th 1884.

JOSEPH KELLAWAY  (Boatswain)  Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour             In September 1855 in the sea of Azoff, near Mariopol, a small party from H.M.S. Wrangler landed in the middle of the night to destroy some boats, fishing stations, and haystacks, on the opposite side of a lake.  The Russians were on the alert, and rushed upon them from their ambush, endeavouring to cut off their retreat.  One of our men fell into the enemy?s hands, and the others had made good their escape, when one of them (Mr. Odevaine) accidentally fell. Kellaway, thinking he was wounded, at once returned to his rescue, and while lifting him, both were surrounded by the enemy.  In spite of a gallant but hopeless resistance, they were captured. Commander Burgoyne V.C. stated that he was himself an observer of the zeal, gallantry, and self-devotion displayed by Kellaway on this occasion. Mr. Kellaway died at Chatham on October 10th 1880.

GEORGE FIOTT DAY  (Captain, afterwards C.B)  Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour            During the Crimean War, in the sea of Azoff, Captain Day conceived the idea of landing at night, getting within the Russian lines at Genitchi and finding out the practicability of cutting out the enemy?s gunboats lying within the Straits, close to the town.  Setting off quite alone, he landed and crossed four or five miles of swamps, often waist deep, penetrating eventually to within 200 yards of the enemy?s vessels.  From the absolute stillness on board the boats he came to the conclusion that they were not strongly manned, and that therefore an expedition for the purpose of cutting them out was feasible.  Retracing his steps, after seven hours hard work, he reached his ship.  Next day, however, from unusual signs of activity in the enemy?s direction, it seemed that the surmises were incorrect, so he returned once more to again watch their movements. Passing through the same dangerous swamps, he reached his former place of observation and found, to his great disappointment, that the boats were all manned and ready for action, so he turned back, wandering through the swamps again for nine hours, and the idea had to be abandoned.  The plucky nature of this act is the more apparent when it is mentioned that, while making a similar reconnaissance previously, Captain l?Allemand, of the French steamer Monette, had lost his life.  The decoration worn by Captain Day in the portrait above is: - St. Jean d?Acre-Syria 1840; China 1841; Burmah 1852; South Africa 1853; Baltic 1854; Crimean and Turkish 1855; Victoria Cross; Legion of Honour; Order of the Bath (C.B.) and Medjidie.  Promoted Commander, 1855; Captain 1861; he died at Weston-super-Mare, December 18th 1876.

JOHN EDMUND COMMERELL  (Commander, afterwards Admiral of the Fleet G.C.B.)  Royal Navy  Knight of the Legion of Honour             Admiral Sir Edmund Commerell, son of the late J. W. Commerell, of Horseham, was borne January 13th 1829, and died at Rutland Gate, Hyde Park on May 21st 1901. He served in South America 1846, the Baltic in 1854, and after the Crimean War, in China 1859-60, and Ashanti 1873, in which campaign he was dangerously wounded.  A.D.C. to the Queen 1872-6; Naval Lord of the Admiralty; Commander-in-Chief on American and West Indian stations 1882; Portsmouth 1888; Admiral of the Fleet 1892; M.P. for Southampton, 1885-8.

NOWELL SALMON  (Lieutenant, Now Admiral of the Fleet, G.C.B.)  Royal Navy            On November 16th 1857, at the attack on the Shah Nujjiff at Lucknow, the rebels, who were posted behind the gateway, poured a very severe fire upon the Naval Brigade.  As no sufficiently effective reply could be given from the front, Captain Peel, V.C., called for volunteers to climb a tree overlooking the gate, and fire at the enemy.  Lieutenant Salmon promptly answered, and, in company with Boatswain Harrison (V.C.), shot so well from the advantageous position that the enemy?s defence was considerably weakened, and shortly afterwards the place was captured. Admiral Salmon, son of the Rev. H. Salmon, Rector of Swarraton, Hants was born on February 20th 1835.  Educated at Marlborough.  Served in the Baltic operations 1854, and the Mutiny as stated above.  Was A.D.C. to the Queen 1875-9; Commander-in-Chief on the Cape and West African Station 1881-5; held the same position in China 1888-90; and at Portsmouth 1894.

JOHN HARRISON  (Boatswain?s Mate)  Royal Navy           When Sir Colin Campbell reached the city of Lucknow at the end of his famous march to the relief of the beleaguered Residency, the Shah Nujjiff was one of the most stubbornly defended posts held by the mutineers on November 16th 1857.  A very heavy fire was poured upon us from a gate at the angle of the defences, and Captain Peel, V.C., called for volunteers to climb a large tree overlooking the inner fortifications and fire upon the enemy.  Harrison and Lieutenant Nowell Salomon (V.C.) (now Admiral, G.C.B.) performed this dangerous service, and worked great havoc on those inside. Harrison died on December 25th 1865.

THOMAS JAMES YOUNG  (Lieutenant, afterwards Commander)  Royal Navy He died at Caen, France, on March 20th 1869. 

WILLIAM HALL  (Able Seaman)  Naval Brigade, Royal Navy            During Sir Colin Campbell?s advance to the final relief of the Lucknow Residency on November 16th 1857, William Hall, ?Captain of the Foretop? of H.M.S. Shannon, was with the guns of Peel?s Naval Brigade, and was conspicuous for his fearless bravery at the attack on the Shah Nujjiff, one of the stoutest defences of the mutineers around Lucknow.  Hall is one of the three men of colour who have been awarded the Victoria Cross.  The other two are Samuel Hodge and W. J. Gordon.

Arthur Mayo  (Midshipman)  Royal (Indian) Navy             On November 22nd 1857, the Indian Naval Brigade (abolished in 1863) was quartered at Dacca, in Bengal, and under the command of Lieutenant T. E. Lewis, R.N.  The Sepoys at that station having mutinied, orders were received to disarm them, and three of their ?Guards? showed no resistance.  The fourth, however, drawn up on the Lall Bagh with two 6-pounder field guns, had loop-holed the hospital ad their barracks, and on the Naval brigade entering the enclosure and forming into line, the native officer gave the order to fire, which was promptly responded to by his troops.  The sailors replied with a volley, and charged the barracks on the hill, breaking the barracks on the hill, breaking down the doors, their howitzers firing at the enemy?s two guns, one of which commenced to blaze away at those of our men who had worked their way along the higher ground.  When at the further end of the hill, the officer in command gave the order, ?Take those guns,? whereupon Mr. Mayo, collecting a few men, called on them to follow him, and with a cheer they rushed down the hill.  The sepoys working the gun for which Mayo?s party were making, now dispersed the muzzle, and when the sailors were within a few yards of it one of them was in the act of applying a port-fire, when he was fortunately shot.  A second Sepoy sprang forward to finish the work, but Mr. Mayo and his men on him, and, before he could reach the powder, was cut down, and all his rebellious crew round the gun promptly slain, the two guns being turned upon the now retreating rebels.  During the charge Mr. Mayo was fully twenty yards ahead of his party.  On another occasion, during an expedition into the Abor Hills, on February 27th 1859, the Naval Brigade took seven well-defended stockades.  One of these was across a nullah over which was a wooden bridge.  The bugle from headquarters sounded, ?Cease firing,? but arrows were raining round Mr. Mayo?s party, and he asked the C.O. not to hear it, urging that the party should push on.  Though warned that the bridge across the nullah was probably cut, he led his men across it, and, reaching the opposite side in safety, dashed for the stockade and got over it.  The last stubbornly defended by natives with arrows, spears and stones, and during the attack upon it he was truck in the hand by a poisoned arrow.  Stopping to suck the wound, the men thought he was badly injured, and hesitated to go on, but he dashed forward again, calling out that he was not hurt, and the place was taken.  The fighting lasted for five hours, and Mr Mayo was mentioned in despatches for his gallantry throughout the entire time. Born in 1840, Mr Mayo was just 17 years old when he won the Victoria Cross-one of the youngest of its recipients.  He was invalided home in 1860, matriculated at Oxford in 1862, took his B.A. degree 1865, and was ordained Deacon of the Exter Diocese in 1866.  He served as Assistant-Curate at St. Peter?s, Plymouth, for one year and eight months, and was received into the Catholic Church November 5th 1867, at Farm Street.

EDWARD ROBINSON  (Seaman)  Royal Navy             On March 13th 1858, at the siege of Lucknow, the battery served by the Naval Brigade ignited, owing to the sandbags catching fire.  Edward Robinson dashed up and, under a terrific fire from the enemy, who were only fifty yards distant, succeeded in extinguishing the flames, being dangerously wounded during this heroic act. He died at Windsor on October 2nd 1896.

GEORGE BELL CHICKEN  (Late Indian) Naval Brigade             This gallant man was a volunteer with the Naval Brigade in the Mutiny, and was deservedly awarded the Victoria Cross for his bravery at Suhejnee, near Peroo, on September 27th, 1858.  Seeing that a number of rebels were about to rally and open fire on their scattered pursuers, he charged them by himself.  Surrounded on all sides, he continued fighting desperately, and killed five rebels before being himself cut down, when he would most certainly have been killed but for the fortunate arrival of some of the Bengal Police and Sikh Cavalry, who dashed into the crowd to his rescue and routed it, killing many of the enemy.

WILLIAM ODGERS  (Leading Seaman, H.M.S. ?Niger?)  Royal Navy 

SAMUEL MITCHELL  (Captain of the Foretop)  H.M.S. ?Harrier,? Royal Navy                Commodore Sir William Wiseman brought the name of Samuel Mitchell to special notice for devotion and bravery on April 29th 1864.  During the attack on Te Papa, Tauranga, New Zealand, he entered the Pah with commander Hay, and when that officer was mortally wounded, carried him out, although ordered by him to leave him and look after his own safety. Mitchell died on March 16th 1894.

GEORGE HINCKLEY  (Able Seaman)  H.M. Sloop ?Sphinx,? Royal Navy              At Fung-wha, in China in October 9th 1862, while our men were attacking the East Gate of the City, Hinckley volunteered to carry Mr. Coker, Master?s Assistant of the Sphinx, from the place where he had fallen wounded during the advance on the Gate, to a joss house, 150 yards distant.  Under a heavy fire he successfully accomplished his humane act, and on returning went to the assistance of Mr. Bremen, an officer of Ward?s force.  This man had also been wounded during the advance, and, still under the same raking fire, Hinckley carried him to the joss house, returning afterwards and taking his place in the fighting at the Gate. Of the eight officers and men awarded the Cross-during that campaign, Hinckley and Colonel Chaplin C.B., are now the only surviving recipients.   

WILLIAM SEELEY  (Seaman)  H.M.S. ?Euryalus,? Royal Navy 

THOMAS PRIDE  (Captain of the After-Guard)  H.M.S. ?Euryalus,? Royal Navy               Associated with Midshipman Boyes (V.C.), in a gallant rush made on the batteries at Simonisaki, in Japan on September 6th 1864.  Thomas Pride was the survivor of the two colour-sergeants who supported him on that occasion, and was dangerously wounded.  He died at Parkstone, Dorset on July 16th 1893. 

DUNCAN GORDON BOYES  (Midshipman)  H.M.S. ?Euryalues,? Royal Navy            According to the testimony of Captain Alexander, C.B., Mr Boyes displayed great courage on September 6th 1864, during the capture of the enemy?s stockade at Simonisaki in Japan.  The two colour-Sergeants having been wounded-one mortally ?he carried the colour ahead of the storming party under a very severe fire, and was only stopped from advancing still further by order of his commanding officer.  The colour was pierced six times by musket-balls. Mr. Boyes died in 1869.

ISRAEL HARDING  (Gunner)  H.M.S. ?Alexander,? Royal Navy               On July 11th 1882, the guns of H.M.S. Alexandra were pounding the forts of Alexandria, and a 10-inch spherical shell struck the side of the ship, passed through it and lodged on the main deck.  Hearing some one shout ?There is a live shell just above the hatchway,? Harding dashed up the ladder from below, and saw the shell with the fuse burning.  Without any hesitation he threw some water over it, then pickihng it up, he placed it in a tub standing close by, thereby saving many lives which would undoubtedly have been lost had it been given time to explode.  He was at once promoted Chief Gunner.  

ARTHUR KNYVET WILSON  (Captain, now Admiral, K.C.B., K.C.V.O.)  Royal Navy              On Febuary 29th 1884, at the battle of El-Teb Captain Wilson, on the staff of Rear-Admiral Sir William Hewett (V.C.), attached himself, during the advance, to the right half battery, Naval Brigade, in the place of Lieutenant royds, R.N., who had been mortally wounded.  As our troops closed on the enemy?s Krupp battery, the Arabs charged out on to the corner of the square, and the full force was received by the detachment who were dragging the Gardner gun.  Captain Wilson dashed out to the front, and attacked several Arabs single-handed.  His sword, during the fight, was broken but he attacked the savages with his fists.  By the diversion caused by his gallant action, time was given to some of the York and Lancaster Regiment to come to support with their bayonets. Sir Redvers Buller, V.C., in command stated that but for the courageous action of Captain Wilson some of the detachment must have been speared.  Although he wounded, he continued with the half battery during the day. Sir Arthur Wilson, born March 4th 1842, served in the Crimean War; the China War 1858; the Egyptian Campaign 1882, and Soudan 1884.  Was A.D.C. to the Queen 1892-5, and Lord Commissioner of the Admiralty and Comptroller of the Navy 1897-1901.  Since the latter year has been in command of the Channel Squadron.

WILLIAM JOB MAILLARD, M.D.  (Surgeon)  Royal Navy            On September 6th 1898, H.M.S. Hazard landed some men at Candia during the troubles in that place, whereupon a terrific hail of bullets greeted them, and Arthur Stroud, A.B., fell back into the boat seriously wounded, as the rest sprang ashore.  Surgeon Maillard, in spite of the rain of lead directed on him, returned and endeavoured to carry the man, who was then dying, into shelter, but the boat got adrift, and from so unstable a platform he found it impossible.  When he returned to his post, his clothes were riddled with bullets, but he was fortunately unhurt.   William Job Maillard, educated at Kingswood School, Bath; Dunheved College, Launceston; Guy?s Hospital London, entered the Naby, August 22nd 1889, and for his gallant services was promoted Staff Surgeon on June 2nd 1899.  Was presented with the Victoria Cross by the late Queen at Windsor on December 15th 1898. He retired in 1902, and died at Bournemouth on September 10th 1903 aged 40.

BASIL JOHN DOUGLAS GUY  (Midshipman, now Lieutenant)  H.M.S. ?Barfleur,? Royal Navy            On July 13th 1900, during the attack on Tientsin City in China, the Naval Brigade came under a very heavy cross-fire, several men being hit.  One of them, Able Seaman J. McCarthy, falling when about fifty yards from cover, Mr. Guy went to his assistance, and seeing him desperately wounded, tried to carry him into shelter, but was not striong enough to do so.  He nevertheless, stayed by him, binding up his wound, ans, as by this time the rest of his party had reached cover, the entire fire of the enemy from the city wall was concentrated onthem both.  So terrific was the hail of lead that the ground around them was literally ploughed up.  Mr. Guy then ran to cover to obtain assistance, and the bearers coming up, he dashed out with them and assisted in putting McCarthy on to a stretcher and carrying him in.  The seaman was however, unfortunately, again shot, and died just as he reached cover.  Bore on May 9th 1882, Mr. Guy is the son of the rev. Douglas Sherwood Guy, Vicar of Sedbergh.  Entered the Britannia on January 15th 1897, passing out to the Barfleur in 1898, and has served since then entirely in the east.  On July 15th 1903, was promoted Lieutenant for his services, and received the Victoria Cross from the hands of H.M. the King on March 8th 1902, at Keyham Barracks.  This is the first Cross gained in the Navy since His Majesty?s Accession, and the forty first awarded to members to the senior service since the institution of the decoration.

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page